Friday, October 26, 2012

A Little Pain, A Life To Gain


Our company, in partnership with Philippine National Red Cross, conducted a Blood Letting Program onsite. We were able to obtain 24 blood bags, which I am certain, could help save lives.

While my blood was being withdrawn from my system, I spoke with the Red Cross Volunteer and she mentioned that "-ber" months are mostly the time when only a few people share their blood. I hereby knock to your generous heart, to please be with me on this humanitarian and compassionate legacy. Donate your precious blood. Especially now that Christmas is yet to come. This would be the best Christmas present you could ever offer. Remember the saying, "It's better to give than to receive."

Voluntarily, the donor has to submit himself to undergo blood screening. The purpose of this is to determine the blood type, weight, blood pressure, and the donor's medical history & personal lifestyle. It is not true that if you have tattoos or piercings, you can no longer donate your blood. This is a common misconception among the people. If you get inked or had your piercings for more than a year, then you can still donate blood. There is a doctor to assess if you are qualified or not. Usually, the one who is "clean & healthy" passes the screening. The qualified donor will then be asked to lie down and there, a needle will be inserted. Once the bloodbag is filled with 450 ml of blood, a needle will be withdrawn. A successful donor will be instructed to remain still on bed for about 10 minutes before getting up. The whole procedure takes for about 30 minutes.

A donor's card will be given to all successful donors. Should you need blood in the future (knock on wood), you can come to Red Cross and ask for assistance. They will provide you the blood you need until you get well.

I hope this entry touched your heart and I'm looking forward to see more people supporting this drive in donating their blood. Yes, I know we inflict pain. I myself have fear of needles and the idea of being punctured. But what is a little pain, if life is we are saving. As long as I can give, this will be my lifetime advocacy. I hope you too!

***

No comments:

Post a Comment